Legend has it that in 1833 a shepherd boy Appak Baizhanov found black stones that burn, they were later called coal (black gold). The first settlement appeared here in 1856, and later began to emerge coal industry, which began supplying neighboring villages. Karaganda received city status in 1934, and in 1936 became the center of the Karaganda region. By 1939 the population of Karaganda came close to the figure of 166 000. In fact, the city at the time consisted of scattered over a large area of workers’ settlements -. Old Town, Maikuduk, Tikhonovka, New Tikhonovka, Convivial, Mikhailovka, Fedorovka, Uzenka, etc. The construction of the New Town . In 1935, the Kazakh regional committee makes a decision on the planning of the city of Karaganda. In a short time, only some 5-6 years, grew new city with wide streets, green squares, dozens of high-rise buildings, schools, hotels, shops, hospitals, baths, office buildings, with all that it takes the city. Much attention was paid to paving roads, building sidewalks, street lighting, landscaping, drainage, water supply and other activities on the improvement of the city a short time, only some 5-6 years, grew new city with wide streets, green squares, tall buildings, schools, shops, hospitals, administrative buildings, etc. Much attention was paid to the roads. Karaganda Coal gave a powerful impetus to the development of Central Kazakhstan and the region on the map of Karaganda region Balkhash town and appeared Baikonur town of Dzhezkazgan, Kounrad and Mointy. According to estimates in 2015 the population numbered about half a million people. Townspeople raised funds and erected a monument known expression «Where, where? — In Karaganda!».